Boys and girls swept in double-header

Terry McCaulley
Coach Tyler Mertiff and the boys basketball team fell to 2-7 Friday.

Friday night the boys and girls basketball teams travelled to Chestnut Ridge for a double-header, both bringing home a loss.

The girls lost to a score of 50-39. With this loss the girls drop to 6-4 and have now lost 3 out of their last 4 games.

The Lady Blue Devils were in a back and forth match up throughout the first half of the game going into to halftime down 3 with a score of 24-21.

Coming out after halftime the girls struggled offensively in the third, getting out scored 0-10. They tried to make a run in the fourth, but the deficit was too much to recover from. Bellwood only collected one assist throughout the whole game.

Bellwood got a double-double from sophomore Lily Gerwert with 11 points and 10 rebounds. Junior Leigha Clapper had 10 points and senior Lainey Quick added 7 points of her own.

Chestnut Ridge received 21 points and 12 rebounds from senior Ashlie Weaver.

The Blue Devils fell to the Lions by a score of 62-41 and dropped to a record of 2-7.

Bellwood’s offense started the game stagnant and fell behind 14-5 after the first quarter.

Chestnut Ridge took advantage of the sluggish Blue Devil offense and extended their lead to 25-5 early in the second.

Bellwood’s offense finally came alive and shrunk the halftime deficit to 14.

The Blue Devils were lead by Anthony Caracciolo with 14 points and Conner Bardell chipped in with 10.

Bellwood went on a run early in the third quarter to get the game within 8 points, but the Lions were persistent and got their lead back.

Chestnut Ridge continued to be dominant in the fourth quarter and ended the game with a 19 point lead.

The Blue Devils will look to get back on track this week with games against Bellefonte, Clearfield, and Juniata Valley.