Artist of the Week: Jerica Schoening

Jerica Schoening
Jerica Schoening loves creating practical works of art!

This week’s Artist of the Week is Jerica Schoening, who takes an interest in creating art and is very proud of what she is capable of.

Jerica is a senior at Bellwood-Antis, and besides creating art in her free time she also enjoys playing volleyball with her family.

Currently in her Ceramic and Painting art class, Jerica is working on an organic coil ceramic vessel. The design is made from coil shapes like spirals with a layer of spheres.

”I like that I can watch my projects develop in front of my eyes,” commented Jerica. She stated that sometimes her art starts out questionably, but she likes how she is able to rework those parts into something she can be proud of.

Jerica states that she is much more confident in her art work than she was before. “I used to be a perfectionist which slowed me down, but my new confidence allows me to take more risks and work more efficiently,” said Jerica.

Jerica loves continuing to watch her progress improve and believes that especially with the help of a mentor, it is possible for anybody to. “Believe that you can improve if you don’t give up on yourself. Mrs. McNaul always pushes me to get past what I tell myself in my head and take risks.”

After high school, Jerica plans to attend a cosmetology school and still keep practicing art at home in her free time.

Good luck Jerica!