Myers reward program features service dogs

Service paws program celebrates pop tab drive

Cory Parson

Mrs. Kelly speaks to the children Friday afternoon.

Cory Parson, Staff Writer

Myers Elementary students were treated today to a presentation by Leslie Kelly, the founder of the Service Paws organization, and her service dog Nokie.

Nokie is a 2 year old Yellow Lab that is full of energy and excitement. Myers hosted three assemblies, and one show featured a film crew to record the activities.

B-A has been participating in pop tab drive to fund service dogs. It has collected almost 400 pounds.

This assembly is part of the monthly reward program that students with good behavior are able to attend.

Under the leadership of Myers teacher Linda Noonan, Bellwood-Antis students have been trying to help the funding towards service dogs by bringing in soda can tabs and giving them to homeroom teachers.

BASD has been collecting tabs since October to help offset the $50,000 cost to train these dogs.  It takes $25,000 just to maintain a service dog.

So far, our district as a whole has collected an estimated 350-400 pounds.

“Mrs. Kelly is going to be so impressed with the quantity of tabs and the overwhelming support of our district.” Mrs. Noonan said.

Service dogs are very important, and sometimes even a necessity, for some people to get through their day. The dogs are trained to help people living with physical or mental disabilities, and they make the lives of people with disabilities much easier.