Backpack Program completes Christmas project

Kyley Longo

Kids from Mrs. Longo’s class pack backpacks for families during the holidays.

Kara Engle, Staff Writer

Mrs. Kyley Longo-McGarvey, a second grade teacher at Bellwood-Antis Myers Elementary School, and her students and their families paired up with the backpack program, on Tuesday to make extra special bags of Christmas goodies to send home with each student in our district that is involved in the Blue Devil Backpack Program.

The Blue Devil Backpack Program is a program run by  parent volunteers who help pack bags with food for kids and their families that are in need during weekends and holiday breaks.

Mrs. Longo-McGarvey thinks this project benefits multiple kids in different ways.

It has been operating for two years. Mrs. Kyley Longo-McGarvey and Jendy Maines, a parent of one of Mrs. Longo-McGarvey students, thought that they should get the students involved in more service projects especially for the community.

“In terms of the kids in my class I think it opens their eyes to the things they should be grateful for,” she said. “I think it gives them a sense of pride in being able to help friends right here in our district have some extra special treats this Christmas.”

Mrs. Longo-McGarvey is very proud of all her students for helping out.

“I am just super proud of not only my kids but their parents and their willingness to get hands on and help,” she said. “It is a crazy busy time of year for everyone and money can be tight, but these kids and their families have really shown that Christmas is a time of giving and have been such have been such a selfless group.”