Feature Teacher: Mrs. Zong

Mrs. Zong poses with her favorite books during Read Across America Week.

“Please turn this in to Mrs. Zong immediately,” says the Bellwood-Antis High School morning announcements almost every day.

When it comes down to it, BAHS would be lost without her.

For 33 years, the Bellwood community has been fortunate to have Mrs. Susan Zong teach a variety of different subjects in the high school.

To begin her teaching career, Mrs. Zong was a substitute at State College High School. However, the first job she interviewed for was here at Bellwood-Antis, and she got it. Her first position was 7th grade English.

The number of positions and responsibilities that Mrs. Zong undertakes is endless. It was even difficult for her to gather a list.

The students at Bellwood share and care like no other school district I’ve seen.

— Mrs. Zong

“I’ve been an English teacher, Title 1 Reading Specialist, Library Media Specialist, English Department Chairperson, Yearbook Advisor,” says Zong. “I have also compiled and designed the Annual Achievement Report from 2012-2016 for the Foundation.”

Along with a full plate of obligations comes many difficulties.

“You NEVER leave your job at the office!” says Zong. “Besides grading papers, there is constant prep work for classes, refining lessons to suit the different personalities, and just plain worrying about “my” kids.”

Along with the rest of the community, Mrs. Zong feels very fortunate to be teaching in such a great environment. She enjoys the support of parents and businesses, the staff who helps each other with no professional jealousy, and the students.

“The students at Bellwood share and care like no other school district I’ve seen,” says Mrs. Zong.

Mrs. Zong is currently teaching English to multiple grade levels, which makes her job fun and challenging. She enjoys the insight of her wide variety of students.