Art students turn an old plow into a work of art

Bryce Graham

The plow students decorated for the contest is located on Stadium Drive.

Jami Daley, Staff Writer

PennDOT is having a Paint the Plow contest to see which school district can paint a snow plow the best. There are 15 schools in our region competing in this contest, including Bellwood-Antis’ rival Tyrone.

Art teacher Mrs. Leah McNaul and her fourth, fifth and eighth period classes have been hard at work painting B-A’s snow plow in hopes to be voted number one.

The plow can be seen outside of the district’s buildings and grounds equipment offices near the baseball hitting facility on Stadium Drive.

There are 2 sets of judges. The first is a jury of artistic people or someone who has connections to PennDOT from around the region that vote on which plow they think is painted the best and express a clear message.

The second group is a public vote and the Bellwood Art Club needs your help to vote theirs the best. That will occur when PenDOT opens the contest up for public voting on its Facebook page.

“PennDOT and the public need to work together to ensure winter safety,” said Mrs. McNaul, Bellwood Antis Art Teacher.

The 2016 PennDOT ‘Paint the Plow’ theme is “Don’t Crowd the Plow”. Based on the theme, Bellwood has created a motto that goes “We need assistance, keep your distance,” which is painted very clearly on the front of the plow.

Their cartoon highway worker that covers the plow is wearing the PennDOT symbol. He is also wearing a safety vest with his hands and arms straight out to the sides to show back up a little bit so you’re safe and our plows are safe.

“The motivation is competing out of a love to paint and to gain bragging rights over other schools,” said junior Olivia Stetter.