Artist of the Week: Gabe Waltermire

Abigail Eckenrod
This week’s Artist of The Week is Gabe Waltermire, a B-AHS Band member and figurine painter.

This week’s Artist of The Week is senior Gabe Waltermire! He participates in the Bellwood-Antis High School concert band as well as painting small figurines in his free time.

Gabe has been participating in band since 4th grade, and he’s fallen in love with it. He originally joined band as a trumpet player, and later in high school switched over to play baritone. He enjoys playing baritone because it challenges him and helps with his hand-eye coordination.

He believes that playing may help him in other activities in life that require precision such as his painting!

I may never win any awards but I enjoy doing these things, so I’m not going to stop doing them.

— Gabe Waltermire

”I just enjoy these activities. If I didn’t enjoy doing band or painting, I’d stop because why would I work on something I hate?” Waltermire commented.

Gabe values personal betterment and self-improvement over any award they could possibly give. In his activities, he sees different ways to improve him abilities and makes any stride necessary to see self-improvement.

Following high school, Gabe is planning on entering the national park services and working as a park ranger. Even with his future busy lifestyle, he still plans to continue playing and painting in his free time.

Collecting and painting War Hammer 40K figurines is a beloved pastime for Gabe Waltermire. (Kerry Naylor)

“Gabe has a great cooperative attitude and always contributes positively with good behavior and a great sense of humor,” said 4th-12th band director Patrick Sachse. “It’s been an honor to teach him these nine years!”

”If you don’t enjoy something then try something else or find a new activity. All because it’s there doesn’t mean you have to be amazing at it,” said Gabe.

Congratualtions Gabe! We can’t wait to see what you do next!