Linchpins: Mrs. Lechner

JoJo Caswell

Mrs. Deb Lechner has been greeting students coming through the door at B-A for 20 years.

Halee Young, Staff Writer

Have you ever forgotten something and had a parent drop it off? Have you ever had a doctor’s appointment you needed to leave early for? Then you have probably met Mrs. Deb  Lechner, a vital part of Bellwood-Antis. 

Mrs. Lechner’s job as one of B-A’s greeters at the high school entrance is extremely important; the one thing about her job she finds most important, however,  is keeping everyone safe.

“Our security officers are two of the best!” says Lechner, referring to Jeff Hanna and Tim Mercer.

Mr. Hanna acknowledges her importance, as well.

We are lucky to have a person with her knowledge and dedication to the school. We would love to have her as long as she wants to be here.

— Mr. Hanna

“When I started here at Bellwood in the security department, Deb already had about 18 years of experience. She already had a great working knowledge of the procedures of allowing people in and out of the school,” he said. “As we started to add to the greeters responsibilities she was an invaluable asses to our team. as we hired new greeters Deb too the lead to train the new members of our team. We are lucky to have a person with her knowledge and dedication to the school. We would love to have her as long as she wants to be here.”

Mrs. Lechner has worked at Bellwood since September of 2000, and in that time she has watched two daughters – Ashley and Chelsea – graduate from here.  She herself graduated from Bellwood in 1978, as did her husband.

A typical day on the job includes making sure cameras are up and running, signing students in that are coming in late or leaving early, receiving items that are brought in, and scanning visitors entering the school.

Since she started here 21 years ago, Mrs. Lecnher has seen a lot of changes in the school. She is very glad to be a part of the safety and security of the staff, students, and school.

“I love getting to see the students and hearing about all the activities and events that are happening,” says Lechner. 

The safety of our school is undoubtedly one of the most important aspects of it, and we can thank people like Mrs. Lechner for that!