Athlete of the Week: Alex McCartney

Morgan Kienzle
Alex McCartney has a 1,000-yard season in his sights as a freshman running back for the Blue Devils.

Alex McCartney is just a freshman, and he is already a key part of the Bellwood-Antis football team. Alex is a starting running back and safety and is this week’s Athlete of the Week. 

Alex has been leading the rushing attack for the team this year. He is averaging 126.7 yards per game with a total of 760 rushing yards, and he has 7 touchdowns to go along with that. Aside from his stellar offensive production, Alex has 25 total tackles on the defensive side this year.

Alex first started playing football when he was just seven years old, and has worked hard to get to the level that he is at now. Over the offseason, Alex lifts six days a week and will do sprints in order to keep getting stronger and faster.

One thing  Alex says that he is proud of is that the Tyrone head coach told him after their game against the Eagles that he was already better than his father. His father, Chris McCartney, was an all-star football player at Bellwood as well. A 1991 graduate, he was a part of the 1988 District 6 championship team and was selected to play in the Big 33 game s a senior. He went on to play at IUP, so Alex being told that he is already better than what his dad was is a great accomplish and a reflection of  his hard work that he had to put in to get to where he is at.

Alex has a great mentor in his father, and has been a big part of his development as a player.

“He has always told me to be great at everything so that I can control the game whether the ball is going to me or not,” said Alex.

The football team has struggled so far this year, but they recently got their first win of the season last week. This win could light a spark in the team and allow them to have a strong finish to their season.

Alex says, “It brought some hope back into the team and proved that we can play with anyone as long as we do our assignment.”

Alex’s goals for the team are to win the rest of their games and to make a run at districts, but more importantly he just wants to keep betting better form week to week.

Congratulations to Alex McCartney on being this week’s athlete of the week and good luck on your season.