Cheer team falls just short of states

The+girls+getting+ready+to+compete+
Cami Focht
The girls getting ready to compete

The Bellwood-Antis competition cheer team participated in districts last weekend. On Saturday December 9, the girls competed at Altoona Field House, and had a chance to go to states.

The Lady Devils competed against 10 other teams, but were just 2 points off from making it to the next level. 

Districts is a very tough competition, and this year’s routine is probably the scariest and most difficult the team has had.

The girls practiced 4-5 times a week to prepare, along with cheering at sporting events. 

At their practices they worked on running out the full routine, tumbling, jumping, and anything else that needs worked on. 

Chrissy Shura is the coach, and she pushes the girls to the best of their abilities. 

“Even though we were disappointed about not making it to states, I am very proud of the girls for doing so well,” she said.

The team put a lot of hard work into the competition piece and have improved a lot since last year, especially considering there  are only 2 seniors on the competition cheer team: Cami Focht and Savannah Wray.

Focht has been a part of the cheer team for 4 years. She was very proud of her team, even though there were some injuries along the way. 

“My favorite part about competing is spending time with my team. We are together all of the time, but competing is just a whole different atmosphere for us,” stated Cami. 

Focht said she loves to see everyone happy after they have performed their routine. 

The girls next competition is on January 13 at Tyrone.  To prepare for this competition, they are going to continue to clean up the routine and make it more difficult.  

Show your support for the Bellwood-Antis competition cheer team by being there January 13!