Law class holds mock trials
Priced out of playing

Priced out of playing

April 26, 2024

BAHS teachers get their classrooms back

BAHS teachers get their classrooms back

April 26, 2024

Student teacher support program launches in Pennsylvania

April 26, 2024

ATHLETE OF THE WEEK: Lilly Gerwert

Morgan Kienzle
Lily Gerwert has upped her production on both ends of the floor this season.

Lilly Gerwert is just a sophomore and is already a top player and leader on the Bellwood-Antis girl’s basketball team. She has been dominant on the court through the first half of the season and has been selected as the BluePrint’s Athlete of the Week.

Gerwert fires a shot in a game in December against Hollidaysburg.

Recently, Lilly was selected as part of the all-tournament team in the Reliance Bank Holiday Tournament in Tyroine over the holiday break. It was in this tournament where she had double-digit scoring in both games and recorded a double-double in the championship game against Penn Cambria.

This past week, the Lady Blue Devils played against Bald Eagle Area. Lilly scored 17 points against the Bald Eagles and was the games highest scorer. Earlier this year, Gerwert was honored as the Altoona Mirror athlete of the week. It was in this week where she put up her season high in points, with 25.

In nine games, Lilly is averaging 12.7 points per game on 54% shooting, while also grabbing  7.7 rebounds per game. She is leading the team in both those statistical categories.

However, along with points and boards, Gerwert has also been racking up assists. She said her work during summer vacation helped her to expand her game.

“I worked really hard over the summer with my shot,” she said. “Coach Longo has also been making me do things I normally wouldn’t do, like ball handling and playing as a guard.”

Lilly has been not only dominant on the offensive end, she has been dominating on defense as well. On the season, Lilly is leading the team with 2 blocks per game and 2.1 steals per game.

“She plays with heart and is a student of the game,” Coach Kyley Longo-McGarvey said. “She is eager to learn. She pushes her teammates in practice to be better and expects the same in return to help her grow her game.”

The Lady Devils are currently 6-3 overall and 5-1 in the LHAC. It’s been a smooth transition into a new conference for B-A, and Gerwert is hoping to keep it going.

“My goals for this season are to make the playoffs and improve as a team,” she said.

Congratulations to Lilly on being named the Athlete of the Week, and good luck on the rest of your season.