Season Preview: Boys Track and Field

Julia Johnson
Kole Dickinson is one of the top returners for boys track team this season.

The 2024 Spring sports season is here, and with that brings boys track and field.

Coming off a heartbreaking second place finish in the ICC championship last year, the 2024 boys track and field team will be looking to bounce back and dominate the competition this year. With the move to the Laurel Highlands Athletic Conference, the competition they face will be better, but they still should be amongst the top teams.

When asked about the team’s goals for the season, head coach, Nick Lovrich said, “To compete for the LHAC championship, place high at districts, and get some people qualified for the state track meet.”

After losing some key contributors in Dylan Andrews and Eli Pluebell, the boys track and field team will need someone to fill those shoes.

Some of the notable returners for Bellwood are hurdler, Kole Dickinson, who finished 1st in the 110m hurdles in last years ICC championship, pole vaulter, Dalton Poorman, who got 3rd in the championship, and Chance Schreier, who finished the season with the 6th best javelin throw in district 6.

There is a total of 10 seniors this years for the boys track and field team. These seniors include: Kole Dickinson, Chance Schreier, Dalton Poorman, Conner Bardell, Aston Hundt, Seth Hollen, Konner Miller, Corrigan Shanafelt, Spencer Dunklebarger, and Gabriel Thompson.

Mr. Lovrich is looking forward to the upcoming track season.

“We are very excited to see how we develop as a team this season,” said Lovrich. “We have a good mixture of older athletes who will be good role models for our younger athletes this season.”

The track teams will start their season at home on the 26th against Bald Eagle Area and Bellefonte.