Blue Devil hoops squads continue to push towards District title

Boys and girls pick up major wins over the weekend, highlighted by Blue Devils’ win over West Branch

On Friday, the Bellwood-Antis Blue Devil boys’ basketball team improved its record to 13-5, and  moved closer and closer to an upper seed in Districts.

The Blue Devils made a statement and showed the once-beaten Warriors their skills, coming out on top with a 67-49 victory in Morrisdale.

Junior Nathan Davis was the star. Davis was a one man show in the second quarter, scoring 13 points in the frame. In fact, Davis went on an 8-3 run of his own at the beginning of the quarter.

Davis led the team with 26 points and also had nine rebounds.

“We came out in this game with great focus and intensity. We knew we had to make a statement and we did,” Davis said. “The fans that traveled up made a big difference and J. Taney was a beast underneath!”

Davis also added, “Our job’s not done yet though, we have to take care of some business tonight against Mount Union.”

Sophomore Joey Padula helped the team by scoring 15 points. Sophomore Ethan McGee followed close behind with 13 points. Also, sophomore Jarrett Tanneyhill was on fire by grabbing 13 rebounds.

The Blue Devils’ record is now 10-1 in the ICC.

The boys weren’t the only ones making a statement on Friday.

The Lady Blue Devils sure  didn’t mess around either. They defended their claim as arguably the area’s top girls’ team by blowing out the Juniata Valley Lady Hornets at home.

The Lady Blue Devils had a tough game against the Lady Hornets, but pulled away for a 68-43 victory, keeping their spot at the top of the ICC. It was the Lady Blue Devils 14th straight win.

B-A shot 20-of-51 from 2-point range and 7-of-21 beyond the arc.

Overall, the Lady Blue Devils played an impressive game with 21 assists, 7 blocked shots, 38 rebounds, 7 steals, and 10 turnovers.

Sophomore Karson Swogger led the team with 18 points, 11 rebounds, and 8 assists. Senior Ana Hollen followed close behind with 17 points, 7 rebounds, and 6 assists.

Senior Selena Damiano helped out by scoring 11 points and senior Kelly Leamer scored 10 points. Sophomore Makayla Carles had 9 rebounds.

On Saturday, the Lady Blue Devils were at it again, moving closer to a top seed in the playoffs against the Everett Lady Warriors at home.

The Lady Blue Devils kept their game up, making it difficult for the warriors to keep pace. The Lady Blue Devils came out on top again with a 74-54 victory.

Hollen, Swogger, and Leamer worked together and combined a score of 63 points alone. Swogger scored 24 points and Hollen scored 21.

Hollen and Swogger also combined for 14 steals, Hollen registered 10 of them by herself.

The Lady Blue Devils record is now 16-1 overall.