Feature Teacher: Mrs. Hughes

Maria Cuevas

Mrs. Hughes works hard to develop personal relationships with her students.

First grader teacher Mrs. Christine Hughes has a special name for her students that reflects their special relationship.

“My favorite thing about teaching is the kiddos. I call them my kiddos because each one of them steals a little piece of my heart. I grow to love each one of them so much!” she said.

The Myers Elementary teacher is this week’s Feature Teacher.

I wanted to be that person that made the difference in just one child’s life.

— Mrs. Hughes

Mrs. Hughes has been teaching in the elementary school for a total of seven years. She completed her student teaching with Mrs. Janell Miller during the 2010-2011 school year. Upon graduating, she moved to Virginia for a year, returned to Bellwood, and has been here ever since.

Mrs. Hughes decided to teach in the elementary school because ever since she was a little kid, she knew she wanted to be a teacher. 

“I would play school with my sister and friends all the time,” she said. “When I started school I was fortunate enough to have amazing teachers that made me want to become a teacher even more.”

Mrs. Hughes wanted to be a teacher who had a positive influence in a child’s life.

“I wanted to be that person that made the difference in just one child’s life,” said Mrs. Hughes.

Mrs. Hughes said her favorite way of motivating the students to learn is to build a trusting, positive, and close-knit relationship with each one of her students from day one. She gets to know their interests and dislikes along with how they learn best, which lends her a hand in making each lesson successful for all her students.

Outside of teaching, Mrs. Hughes loves to spend time with her family. She is married to middle school gym teacher Mr. Brent Hughes and they have a toddler, Marylyn.

“Mr. Hughes and Marilyn are my entire world! I have been truly blessed with the most amazing husband and daughter!” she said.