ARTIST OF THE WEEK: Lily McNelis

Kate Wallace
Lily McNelis is Bellwood’s artist of the week!

Lily’s work in her 4th period Art Appreciation class (Kate Wallace)

This week’s artist of the week is Lily McNelis, who has done amazing work on a still life project for Mrs. McNaul’s 4th period art appreciation class.

Lily is a sophomore and partakes in volleyball, basketball, track, speech league, scholastic scrimmage, key club, French club, renaissance, and FCA.

For her current art project, students in her class formed groups to create a still life model from props. Students have been using these props to create a realistic drawing, and have spent the past weeks sketching, tracing, and shading their works.

“I had a hard time seeing shapes inside of objects and getting the right curves, but now I can see the curves and shapes within the objects,” commented Lily on her progress.

Lily’s favorite aspect of making art is that she gets to enjoy being creative and putting her own ideas into something. She is motivated to complete her current project because she likes being able to do something well.

Lily advises other students who want to participate in art to just go for it. “It’s a fun experience and you can take a lot out of it.”

After high school, Lily plans to attend college to major in exercise science and would like to continue art on the side. Good luck Lily!