Going for gold

B-A raises money and awareness for childhood cancer

Ali Wagner

B-A cheerleaders are selling gold ribbons in the high school. They are also going to be sold at Friday’s football game.

Julian Bartlebaugh, Staff Writer

In the U.S., 15,780 children under the age of 21 are diagnosed with cancer every year.

In recognition of those staggering numbers, the Bellwood-Antis School District is recognizing National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month.

Bellwood-Antis is recognizing National Childhood Cancer Awareness month throughout September and this Friday at the football game. The Gold Ribbon Game is September 16 at Memorial Stadium.

Children with cancer, including Myers second grader Maddie Shura, will be honored at halftime. Bellwood-Antis Schools, led by the B-A cheerleaders at the high school, are selling gold ribbons, the symbol of childhood cancer awareness. Students can purchase gold ribbons to wear during the month of September and Gold Ribbon Day. The cost is $1 per ribbon and proceeds benefit children with cancer.

Cheerleaders are selling them in the cafeteria and before school in the hallways and homeroom.

“It feels good to know the little ribbon on my shirt has so much meaning,” said B-A cheerleader Sidney Patterson, who is helping to sell ribbons.