Devils set to square off with Bobcats for semifinals

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomore Emilie Leidig will look to carry the BA barrage from deep against Blairsville.
(Kerry Naylor)

Sophomore Emilie Leidig will look to carry the BA barrage from deep against Blairsville. (Kerry Naylor)

Colin McCaulley, Sports Writer

Bellwood-Antis won in their first round game earning a trip to the District VI 2A semifinals against top ranked Blairsville.

The Lady Blue Devils are in a new spot in the role of the underdog in most people’s eyes but how different are these 22 win 2 loss teams? One of the best teams on Blairsville’s schedule is Bishop McCort who the Wildcats lost to by three points while BA topped McCort by 17 points.

Where the two teams begin to differ is play style, Bellwood-Antis pushes the pace and is averaging 72.3 points compared to the slow paced 58.9 points per game scored by Blairsville. Bellwood-Antis will have the size advantage with two girls clocking in at 6 feet tall and averages seven more rebounds, 3 steals, and about 4 more blocks a game.

Both teams have prolific players in BA’s Alli Campbell and Blairsville’s Rena Enterline. Campbell has scored 627 points pulled 206 rebounds handed 132 assists  had 109 takeaways, and sent back 44 shots in her Sophomore campaign so far. Blairsville’s Enterline has accumulated 495 points, 211 rebounds, 69 assists, 73 steals, and 20 blocks to this point in her Senior season. This match up in the box score looks dead even but Campbell will boast her four inch height advantage which should help in preventing Enterline form having her usual game.

Sophomore Sakeria Haralson will have her work cut out for her battling against an opposing center with the same height, both team’s centers coming at 6 feet tall sets up for a classic battle for boards in the paint.

Bellwood-Antis needs to knockdown shots if they hope to be successful tonight. BA has made 173 out of 529 of their three point attempts this year for a mere 33% shooting, the Wildcats aren’t as much of a threat to shoot the three only taking 313 threes and hitting on 106 of those shots. The Lady Devils need to try to speed Blairsville up into playing out of their comfort zone and force bad shots from the outside instead of letting them work the ball for layups.

The Wildcats will most likely be throwing double teams and other looks on defense at the Sophomore Campbell which will force her teammates to step up and take some pressure off. The Blue Devils have done this well sharing the ball and taking the pressure off Alli, three other players are averaging over ten points a game this season.

The game will be played tonight at Central Cambria at 6 o’clock all tickets at the door will be six dollars.