Devils move on to face West Branch

Ali Wagner

Bellwood-Antis travels to West Branch for an ICC matchup.

Corey Johnston, Sports Writer

Once again, the Blue Devils picked up yet another win against Northern Bedford last week, 24-14.

Shawn Wolfe passed for 142 yards on Friday, going 9-for-17 while throwing for one touchdown.  Wolfe also carried the ball 11 times for 52 yards.

Sophomore Zach Mallon had himself a game on Friday, catching the ball for 105 yards on just five receptions. Mallon also had one touchdown for the Blue Devils.

Another sophomore, Ty Noonan, played very well on the defensive side of the ball. Noonan had 10 tackles on the night.

Senior Dylan Wilson also had six tackles to help out B-A.

This week the Blue Devils take to the road to play West Branch at 7 p.m.

B-A is looking to pick up yet another win to keep their winning streak alive. The 5-1 Devils have won five straight and lead the ICC with a 5-0 record.

West Branch is 4-2 and looking to break B-A’s winning streak with the help of senior running back Derek Yingling.

The defensive line and linebackers will need to aggressively play their gaps, tackle well, and swarm the football to stop their run game.

— Coach Crowell

Yingling has had 183 carries for 1,190 yards so far on the season and is looking to capitalize on the Blue Devils.

B-A wants to end his running success with their powerful defense. Bellwood has been strong on run defense and has been coming up with some big stops in previous games.

“He gets about 30 carries a game. They’re going to keep running him until we shut them down,” said linebacker Nick Plank. “We’ve got to plug up the holes and give them nowhere to run.”

Bellwood is averaging 53.8 tackles per game and is also averaging 12 sacks a game.

Defensive back Dylan Wilson is leading the team in total tackles so far this season with 35 and Plank isn’t far behind with a close 33 tackles.

Defensive Coordinator William Crowell is ready for anything that comes the Devils’ way this Friday.

“The defensive line and linebackers will need to aggressively play their gaps, tackle well, and swarm the football to stop their run game,” he said.

Crowell thinks the team has been playing fairly solid defensively. “We have only given up on average 10.3 points per game. We need to keep working hard to get better each week and cut back on mental mistakes if we want to play a complete game defensively,” said Crowell

Some things that Mr. Crowell thinks B-A  could work on is cutting back on mental mistakes, staying focused, taking good pursuit angles, and going 100% on very play.

One thing Coach Crowell stressed great was “Hit, Hit, Hit!”