College Corner: Ana Hollen

B-A senior headed to UPJ

Ana Hollen earned a scholarship to play basketball at UPJ.

Senior, Ana Hollen, has chosen University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown as her college of choice. The school was founded in 1927. There are about 3,500 students there. UPJ provides high quality educational experience that is designed to prepare students for the real world of the 21st century. The original campus was constructed between 1963 and 1967. It is located on 655 picturesque acres in the Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania, 70 miles east of Pittsburgh.

Why did you choose UPJ?

I’m getting my 4 years of collage paid for, and I get to play basketball for a coach and team I really like.

What will you major in?

I’m going to major in Bio my first 4 years at UPJ, then transfer to Pitt main for 3 years to get my physical therapy degree.

Did you visit the campus? How did you like it?

I took an unofficial visit in August and really liked it. It’s not too big, nor is it too small. The dorms, classes, and athletic faculties were also really nice.

What made you want to play for the UPJ basketball team?

I really liked the coach, and I knew a lot of girls already on the team who loved playing up there. Playing in the PSAC is a really good fit for me because I wouldn’t have to travel as much and my family can come see my games.

Now that you’ve chosen a school, what do you expect from your senior year?

Now I have this huge weight lifted off my shoulders, I can go out and have fun. I expect great things this year for my team. We were very successful last year and we will continue that again this year. I want to go out my senior year with a bang.

What advice would you give to someone choosing a school?

Pick a school first and for most for academics. Then see financially how much it is and if you can get a scholarships because you don’t want to come out of school drowning in debt. Lastly, go where you feel most at home.