Passing the Torch

The football team and cheerleaders welcomed middle school students to Blue Devil life last week.

Johanna Heckman, Staff Writer

The second semester starts next week and soon B-A’s youth players football and cheerleaders will be moving on to junior high.

Last Friday they were commemorated for all of the dedication they put in over the past 4 years and welcomed into a new sports family.

For the past 4 years football coach Mr. Nick Lovrich has held an event sponsored by the Quarterback Club for youth football players and cheerleaders to welcome the young players to junior high sports. Not only did the middle schoolers get t-shirts, but seniors presented them the shirts, which added to the new Blue Devils’ experience.

The t-shirts say “We start as Red Devils, Packers and Vikings. We end as Blue Devils.”

“We want those young student-athletes to know that they are the next line of blue devil football players and they are important to us,” football Mr. Lovrich said.

This is a tradition that goes back 4 years to when Coach Lovrich first took over for John Hayes.

“Promoting the program is very important, especially when you see so many other schools battling number issues on their sport teams. Being a small school, you never want to lose an athlete, so we try the best we can to make our program be visible so the young athletes aspire to be playing on Friday nights,” says Mr. Lovrich.