Law class holds mock trials
Priced out of playing

Priced out of playing

April 26, 2024

BAHS teachers get their classrooms back

BAHS teachers get their classrooms back

April 26, 2024

Student teacher support program launches in Pennsylvania

April 26, 2024

Bellwood takes down Philipsburg-Osceola

Morgan Kienzle
Bellwood freshman Alex McCartney has been leading the rushing attack forthe Bellwood offense.

Friday night, the Blue Devils traveled to take on the Mountaineers. Bellwood bounced back from their loss to Tyrone. The Blue Devils picked up their first win of the year by a score of 20-7. Bellwood improves to a record of 1-5 and Philipsburg-Osceola falls to a record of 1-5.

Bellwood fell behind early after the Mountaineers threw a 44-yard touchdown pass on their fourth offensive play. This would be the first and last time the Mountaineers would score.

From this point on the Blue Devil defense looked dominant, as they didn’t allow anymore points to go up on the board. Junior Cayden Pellegrine had 14 tackles in the game and 4 of which were tackles for loss. Also, senior Chance Schreier had 2 tackles for loss.

Philipsburg-Osceola had 56 passing yards, 44 of which were on one play, and they added 130 yards on the ground for 186 offensive yards. The Blue Devils had 211 yards of total offense. The offense was led by freshman Alex McCartney, who had 131 rushing yards and 3 touchdowns.

The second half picked up where the first half left off. Both teams were quiet on offense until McCartney broke free on a 36-yard rushing touchdown. Senior Josh Dorminy nailed the extra point and tied the game up with 2:54 left in the third quarter.

Senior Josh Dorminy came up big for the Blue Devils with an interception that he returned to the 11-yard line. Bellwood’s offense had amazing field position in the fourth quarter of a tie game.

Bellwood took the lead with a McCartney 7-yard rushing touchdown with 11:53 left in the fourth quarter. Bellwood’s offense looked great in the second half with quarterback Holden Schreier adding 96 passing yards on a 83% completion percentage to McCartney’s outstanding rushing game.

The Blue Devil defense held the Mountie offense to 19 yards in the second half of the game.

Bellwood got the ball back and drove down the field. McCartney found the endzone for the third time in the game with 3:21 left.

Alex McCartney now has 760 rushing yards and 7 touchdowns. McCartney has been a bright spot on this Blue Devil team, that finally has some hope and momentum going forward after their win against Philipsburg-Osceola.

Bellwood hosts Bishop Guilfoyle this Friday in the Homecoming/Sideline Cancer game. Bishop Guilfoyle comes into the game with a 3-3 record and are coming off a loss against Tyrone. Bellwood will look to carry over their success against Philipsburg to Bishop Guilfoyle and bring home the Sideline Cancer cup.